The river Welland is navigable from the derelict lock at Deeping St James to the Wash. The upper part of this navigation is only suitable for light craft and canoes. The river was navigable as far as Stamford, the uppermost length being canalised into the Stamford Canal. The navigable length is now 24.4 miles (36.0 km). The river Glen joins the Welland at Sufleet Sluices and is navigable for 11.5 miles (18.5 km) to Tongue End and the junction with the now unnavigable Bourne Eau. There are two locks, one at Spalding on the Welland, and one on the Glen at Sufleet where the joins the Welland. Both these locks are operated by the Environment Agency, and it is necessary to call the local river inspector (Tel: 07721 390128) in advance to arrange this.
Get full details from the Inland Waterways Association
What’s near this location
Pinchbeck Pumping Station Museum
The museum is housed in the 1833 steam-powered pumping station building. View the information boards and artefacts which tell the history of drainage in this area from Roman times to the present day. The Pinchbeck Engine is a rotative beam engine built in 1833 to drain Pinchbeck Marsh, to the north of Spalding, Lincolnshire.
More Info